Skip to main content
↑ Back to the start
5 months 3 weeks ago
Successful people never worry about what others are doing.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Alleged source in Plato unknown. Earliest occurrence to have been located is a [https://twitter.com/ochocinco/status/93332058864238592 Tweet from 2011].
5 months 3 weeks ago
Democracy does not contain any force which will check the constant tendency to put more and more on the public payroll. The state is like a hive of bees in which the drones display, multiply and starve the workers so the idlers will consume the food and the workers will perish.
0
⚖0
5 months 3 weeks ago
Magic consists of, and is acquired by the worship of the gods.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Quoted by H.P. Blavatsky, in [http://theosophy.org/Blavatsky/Theosophical%20Glossary/Thegloss.htm The Theosophical Glossary,] (1892)
5 months 3 weeks ago
I will tell you, in order that you may not share the impiety of the multitude: for there cannot conceivably be anything more impious or more to be guarded against than being mistaken in word and deed with regard to the gods, and after them, with regard to divine men; you must take very great precaution, whenever you are about to blame or praise a man, so as not to speak incorrectly. For this reason you must learn to distinguish honest and dishonest men: for God feels resentment when one blames a man who is like himself, or praises a man who is the opposite; and the former is the good man. For you must not suppose that while stocks and stones and birds and snakes are sacred, men are not; nay, the good man is the most sacred of all these things, and the wicked man is the most defiled.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
318e-319a
5 months 3 weeks ago

Socrates: The shoemaker, for example, uses a square tool, and a circular tool, and other tools for cutting?

0
⚖0
5 months 3 weeks ago
You want to know whether I can make a long speech, such as you are in the habit of hearing; but that is not my way.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Socrates speaking to Alcibiades
5 months 3 weeks ago
As you hope to prove your own great value to the state, and having proved it, to attain at once to absolute power, so do I indulge a hope that I shall be the supreme power over you, if I am able to prove my own great value to you.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Socrates speaking to Alcibiades
5 months 3 weeks ago
My love, Alcibiades, which I hardly like to confess, would long ago have passed away, as I flatter myself, if I saw you loving your good things, or thinking that you ought to pass life in the enjoyment of them.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Socrates speaking to Alcibiades
5 months 3 weeks ago
Your pride has been too much for the pride of your admirers; they were numerous and high-spirited, but they have all run away, overpowered by your superior force of character; not one of them remains.  And I want you to understand the reason why you have been too much for them.  You think that you have no need of them or of any other man, for you have great possessions and lack nothing, beginning with the body, and ending with the soul.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Socrates speaking to Alcibiades
5 months 3 weeks ago
Moreover, there is a victory and defeat—the first and best of victories, the lowest and worst of defeats—which each man gains or sustains at the hands, not of another, but of himself; this shows that there is a war against ourselves going on within every one of us.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Book I | Sometimes paraphrased as "The first and best victory is to conquer self".

CivilSimian.com created by AxiomaticPanic, CivilSimian, Kalokagathia