Ill repute is a good thing and much the same as pain.
Once, when he was applauded by rascals, he remarked, "I am horribly afraid I have done something wrong."
As iron is eaten away by rust, so the envious are consumed by their own passion.
States are doomed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.
When he was asked what advantage had accrued to him from philosophy, his answer was, "The ability to hold converse with myself."
Antisthenes ... was asked on one occasion what learning was the most necessary, and he replied, "To unlearn one's bad habits."
It is better to fall in with crows than with flatterers; for in the one case you are devoured when dead, in the other case while alive.
Antisthenes ... said once to a youth from Pontus who was on the point of coming to him to be his pupil, and was asking him what things he wanted, "You want a new book, and a new pen, and a new tablet;"
It is a royal privilege to do good and be ill spoken of.
I'd rather be mad than feel pleasure.
CivilSimian.com created by AxiomaticPanic, CivilSimian, Kalokagathia